Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Blog Advertising

I was at a blog earlier (Work at Home Mom Blog) and the blogger was talking about getting burned out from making money using affiliate programs.

I guess that's why I don't like using affiliate advertising, I keep hearing how it burns people out trying to keep up with the stuff. I'm not burning out, but then, I don't do much affiliate stuff.

That is probably why I'm not burning out. Instead I work with blog marketing sites that allow me to pick and choose things to advertise about. I write the advertisements and put them directly in the posts. For me, who is a writaholic, it is fun coming up with what to say about the advertiser. Take these Capella posts for instance. I am having a heck of a good time thinking them through so that I don't burn you all out seeing them over and over again, and I dearly LOVE both Capella and Blogitive because without these advertisements I would never have got around to making some things that I think are important things needed for my blogs and websites.

For example: the various types of plot defined in clear terms I have included over at A Writer's Life, the common and little known medication interactions list that I have in the works for Family C.A.R.E., diet profiles I am working on for Diet Tracker, and more things that the happy creative muses have been buzzing about.

The challenge of "what to say" about an advertiser is what keeps it interesting and fun for me, sometimes more fun than the stuff I normally talk about on the blogs. And I have not had any of my readers complain about the advertisement posts, in fact, my readership has gone up and I have had people comment both on my blogs and in e-mails about having bought or checked out the things they saw me talking about in my advertisement posts.

As a bit of proof that I'm not burning out, even my readers are noticing that. I had a fellow laughing about how I seem to have gone blogging happy. ::snicker:: I've even had people, in the past year, approaching me directly about advertising for them on my blogs and have now made that easier by starting to implement programs offered by a couple of the blog marketing sites I work with to allow advertisers to make offers directly to me.

The trick to making advertising work for you instead of being work is to keep it fun. You don't want it to feel like a chore that you *HAVE* to do. If you don't think your readers would actually have even a passing interest in an advertisement then by all means pass it by. There are plenty of fish in the advertising sea, you don't have to scare off your readers by exposing them to something they don't want to see. (and on that topic, if you all get totally SICK of seeing Capella, let me know and I'll back down on them. Right now I am happy to have Capella and Blogitive sponsoring such wonderful content that I am able to bring to my readers thanks to their influence on my creativity.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Business Blogs - Blog Flare
Privacy Policy