Monday, February 19, 2007

The Alexa Rank

If you have a website, chances are you have encountered the Alexa Rank. This is a measure of your website by Alexa. The flaw to it is, that the measure is primarily calculated based on how many people with the Alexa tool bar view your website. I don't know about you, but I don't have the Alexa tool bar and I view a lot of websites, so why is the Alexa Rank such a powerful thing?

I don't know, but that is how it works. One way that I have heard to help with Alexa ranking is to display the widget on your site - which presumably lets Alexa see how often the widget is downloaded and lets them count the visitors that don't have the tool bar. I don't know if that is true or not, and I don't know if it is good for the site or not. I have seen instances where people have said their rank went up after they displayed the widget. Presumably this is because if Alexa had over estimated on their site, the widget lets it even out and that mens it drops down some. So it is a hit or miss on if your site would be better off with, or without, the Alexa widget.

A basic widget looks like this:



Or get a more fancy one like this:



Also available are graph charts for those in the top 100,000 sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Business Blogs - Blog Flare
Privacy Policy