Sunday, May 20, 2007

Be the boss no one loves

Working from home is not an easy thing to do. There are distractions both in the form of interruptions and in the form of things that need to be done around the house.

One of the points that you must learn to contend with in separating house work from working at home is the realization that there is a difference between the two.

Work at home entails all the various things that you need to do as a part of your business. The things that make you money.

Housework are the things that on any given day you avoid like the plague, but feel drawn to as a moth to a flame when you are supposed to be working. Things like mopping, ironing, scrubbing the toilet, cleaning the tub drain... stuff you decide is better than sitting in a chair working at the computer.

I am currently wondering if my time would not be better served today putting roofing paper on the back porch. It leaks when it rains and being a nice sunny day it's the perfect day to do that, and I would not be locked away inside at the computer working on stuff. But I need to resist the temptation. Yes, it needs to be done, but if I was working for someone else I doubt they would be amused by my calling in and saying "I don't want to come in today, it's too pretty for working indoors so instead I'm putting a roof on my back porch." I'd probably be told I was fired. And what if I had hired someone to do this work and they called me up with that excuse? Would I think it was a reasonable excuse even if it meant my business lost money because they refused to do the job they were paid to do?

Pause for a moment when you find that you want to go off and do something else, think about if you worked for someone else or if it were someone you had hired that wanted to do what you are planning. What would the reaction be?

You're the boss. Don't be lenient on yourself just because you are working for yourself, if anything you should be harder on yourself than any boss you have ever had before.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Business Blogs - Blog Flare
Privacy Policy